Thursday, January 4, 2018

Things I Have Learned About Snow (by a very southern girl)

I don't know if you all know it but I am a very South Carolina girl.  I was born here. (Actually I was born in Savannah and brought to South Carolina mere days after but that is another story for another  time that I probably will not be sharing anytime soon) (But Savannah is still southern so my point doesn't change) As a matter of fact my grandmother was born here.  The southern in my blood is thick. I have not had many White Christmases.  One to be exact.  I haven't built many snowmen.  I am not a very good person to have on your snowball team. (Really, I am not a good person to have on any ball team) I just don't know a whole lot about snow. BUT...I have learned a ton about it in the last two days. AND since I am Rachel I figured I'd share with all of you.

It's Beautiful


There is just something so serene and beautiful when everything is covered in white. I may have already known this but when you see your own house and neighborhood blanketed in snow really shows just how beautiful it is.  

Your Children May Actually Get Along 





YES! You read that right. They may actually get along for more than 3 minutes at a time since they have something new to do that has nothing to do with screens. I took pictures for proof. 


The Young Adults and Teenagers Who Live in Your House May Acknowledge Your Existence 



They may even go for a walk with you.  No promises but they may even let you take their picture.  

Boogie Boards Make Decent Sleds


Finding a hill is more problematic for children in South Carolina.  

Snowball Fights Are Fun



And also hard to photograph.  But fun.  Until you get smacked in the face.  Or back of the head.  Maybe they are not fun.  

Snowmen Are Too Much Work (for a 44 year old out of shape woman who doesn't like to bend)


This could also be titled "8 Year Olds Don't Have the Attention Span to Make a Decent Smowman." Just give it up man.  Building snowmen stinks. 

Oh The Humanity Laundry!



You get cold outside so you come in and the snow melts and your clothes get wet and then you take it all off and leave it on the bathroom floor for your mother to pick up and throw in the dryer while you take a bath to warm up and then you use 3 towels to dry off so you can put back on your semi-dry clothes so you can go back out and get all snowy again.  It is a vicious cycle. And I am not sure if I like any of it.  

Snowflakes That Stay On Your Nose and Eyelashes Will Forever Be One of My Favorite Things 


Thank you Maria Von Trapp (or Rodgers and Hammerstein to be more exact) for putting this into words for me.  I don't know if I could have expressed it any better. 

So to recap... Snow is a very messy sibling bonding outside cold activity that I am very thankful for.  I am also very thankful that it doesn't happen very often.  

2 comments:

  1. I love this! And I agree. Andrew and Matt also enjoyed the snow! I am ready for summer now.

    ReplyDelete